Toxic Mold Causes Depression & More

Mold isn’t something to take lightly either. The health problems that mold can cause are of real concern. As the evidence mounts about the dangers of molds, more and more families as well as government agencies are taking notice. Some are even taking action.

In a recent 2007 study published in The American Journal of Public Health a link between mold and depression was found. In this study led by Brown University epidemiologist, Edmond Shenassa, the team actually set out to disprove the association between mold and depression reported in several studies out of the United Kingdom.

However, the team found a link between homes with mold and residents with symptoms of depression after studying data from more than 6,000 European adults. Depression is the latest health problem from dangerous, sometimes deadly mold in the home.

Are you concerned about mold in your home or workplace? Have you ever suspected your health or that of someone in your family is suffering from exposure to mold?

Don’t worry; despite the dangers of mold there are steps you can take to protect yourself and family from these dangers. I’ll tell exactly what to look for and what to do if you suspect a problem.

First, let me tell you a little bit about mold and why it can be so toxic.

Toxic Mold: What You Must Know to Protect Your Family

Mold has been around since the beginning of time making up twenty-five percent of the earth’s biological materials. Molds are essential in the progression of life on our planet contributing to the decomposition of organic materials.

When most of us think of mold (or did ten years ago) a picture of old bread with green edges would often come to mind.  However when it comes to the indoor air quality of your home, mold on old bread isn’t what you need to worry about.

The mold found in many homes across the country is microscopic fungi that grow on any host surface. Although mold prefers to grow and even thrives on certain surfaces like paper, cloth, wood, etc, it can grow just about anywhere if the conditions are right. This means mold could even grow on concrete or glass. They are survivors and very adaptable, easily able to not just survive but thrive in many home environments.

Most often molds found in the home are caused by some type of water damage or brought in from the outside to grow and flourish. Indoor flooding, leaking pipes or windows, and leaking roofs all are common causes of indoor mold.

The dangerous or toxic molds are those molds that produce mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are known to cause allergic and other adverse health reactions in animal species.

In small amounts molds are generally not harmful. When the levels grow unchecked the spores become airborne. This is where the potential health problems arise, especially in susceptible individuals.

Common Symptoms of Mold Exposure

While not everyone will react to even the most toxic mold in their homes many people will. Reactions vary from person to person even amongst family members. Here are some of the most common physical problems associated with mold exposure:

  • Eye irritation (red, itchy, watery)
  • Nose irritation (itchy, runny, bleeding)
  • Throat irritation (itchy, scratchy, hoarseness)
  • Dermatitis
  • Asthma
  • Respiratory infections or other problems including coughing up blood
  • Fever
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Liver damage
  • Impaired immune system function

All of these symptoms have been observed in individuals who were exposed to mold. Other symptoms may exist. Reports of animals exposed to mold in laboratories show their symptoms to include those listed above but also show:

  • Kidney damage
  • Infertility
  • Reproductive cycle disruption
  • Neurotoxicity

This last group of symptoms (to date) has not been documented to be seen in humans from exposure to mold but have shown up in laboratory animals exposed to mold.

Each person’s reaction to mold largely depends on their current state of health. Those who already have compromised health such as HIV/AIDS or have a respiratory problem such as asthma may be more susceptible to health problems.

If you or someone in your family has been suffering with these symptoms but have been unable to find the cause it may be time to consider mold as a factor. The first thing to do is to think about whether or not there have been any floods or leaks in your home before the onset of these symptoms. If so, check the area where the flood or leak was to see if you can visibly detect any mold.

Sometimes it’s difficult to know one hundred percent if mold is causing your issues. Mold can lurk behind wall boards, under carpets, and hide in the most unsuspecting of places. Be a detective and be persistent. Mold is a serious problem and if you think it’s a culprit in your home don’t let the issue go until you’ve found out for certain. Once you do know the next step is to take immediate action.

 

Source: https://draxe.com

Leave a Reply

Please wait...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Want to be notified when our article is published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.